Obesity is defined as the accumulation of excessive or abnormal fat in an individual, which poses health risks. Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, certain cancers, and other health risks may be among them. The severity of obesity in a child or adult determines the chronic nature of these health risks.
In this blog article, Matrix Diagnostic Center in Hyderabad is explaining the causes of obesity, preventive steps for kids and adults, and diagnosis. Keep reading…
Causes of obesity
Obesity occurs when a person consumes more calories than he or she burns through exercise and daily activities. However, genetic, metabolic, behavioural, and hormonal influences on body weight can all contribute to an individual becoming obese.
Obesit’s major risk factors are:
- Lifestyle choices
- Family inheritance and influences
- Certain illnesses and medications
- Social and economic issues
- Age and other factors such as stress, insomnia, pregnancy, and so on
Symptoms of obesity
Obesity symptoms include breathing problems, high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, joint pain in the lower back or knees, and so on.
Obese people may also exhibit signs and symptoms of the following medical conditions:
- Coronary artery disease
- Gallbladder or liver disease
- Certain types of cancers
Obesity prevention for kids
- Breastfeeding: Research and recent data show a link between infant breastfeeding and a lower risk of obesity. Breastfeeding directly from the mother’s breast is the most beneficial and has an impact on the BMI of obese-prone children later in life. Breast milk teaches babies to regulate their hunger cues and promotes the growth of healthy bacteria in their digestive tract.
- Do not force-feed or overfeed: Encourage the child to eat appropriate portions for his or her age, but do not force-feed or allow the child to overeat. This practice will ensure that the child’s calorie intake remains under control and that he or she remains healthy.
- Get enough sleep: Children require more sleep than adults. Sleep deprivation causes fatigue and hunger, causing children to eat more and play less. Sleep deprivation may also have an impact on the growth hormone. Help children maintain a regular sleep schedule in order to keep them active and energised throughout the day.
- Limit junk food: The easy availability of calorie-rich junk food increases the likelihood of childhood obesity. As previously stated, the child’s food habits are influenced by his or her living environment. As an adult, set a good example by eating healthy foods and encouraging your child to do the same.
Obesity prevention for adults
- Eat healthily: Including fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet will provide you with the nutrients you need while also keeping calories in check and lowering your risk of overeating. Aside from that, incorporating dietary fibre, protein-rich foods, and healthy dietary fats into your diet will help you stay fit and lean.
- Eat on time: A healthy diet will not benefit you if you do not eat on time. Eating irregularly or skipping meals causes the metabolism to slow, resulting in weight gain.
- Stress Management: Stress has become a part of our daily lives. It can have an impact on our mood and well-being if not managed properly. When people are stressed, they tend to crave more high-calorie food, obesity may get exacerbated. Include meditation, yoga, and exercise in your daily routine to reduce stress.
- Get enough sleep: Lack of sleep causes an imbalance in the food-regulating hormones leptin and ghrelin. This imbalance increases hunger, and people tend to crave high-calorie foods. Inadequate sleep also has an effect on your metabolism and raises your cortisol levels.
What is the diagnosis of obesity?
Obesity is typically diagnosed by calculating your Body Mass Index (BMI) based on your height and weight. Doctors may also inquire about your medical history in order to make a more accurate diagnosis. BMI provides an accurate estimate of body fat and obesity for the vast majority of people.
When it comes to obesity treatment, the following methods can be used:
- A modified diet with fewer calories, combined with regular exercise
- Prescription diet pills
- Non-prescription diet pills
If you’re concerned about your weight and the associated health risks, you should seek advice from a doctor. In addition, if you are looking for a reputable diagnostic centre and pathology lab, look no further than Matrix Diagnostics!
We are one of the most highly rated diagnostic centres and NABL Accredited Pathology Labs, providing our customers with convenience, comfort, and quick and accurate pathology and diagnostic services.
Matrix diagnostic centres in Hyderabad use advanced and cutting-edge technology for testing, and they offer the best diagnostic services in Hyderabad. In all of our branches, we have highly experienced and skilled medical and lab technicians. To ensure better diagnostic services in Hyderabad, they have opened branches in a variety of locations throughout the city.
We are also offering corporate health screenings, pre-employment health screenings, home diagnostic services, and other services. All diagnostic services are inexpensive and quick. For a full body checkup in Hyderabad, you can go to the best diagnostic centre or any other branch of Matrix Diagnostics.